Monday, 16 July 2007

And today's piece of stupidity...

Dinner went well last night, amazingly. I was sitting rather idly at the computer around 5 in the afternoon when it occurred to me to start preparing things so it wasn't too much of a rush at the last minute.

That was when panic set in. When I got the fennel out of the fridge, I found one of the bulbs was rotten, and the one remaining one would not go far when divied up amongst four of us. And the shops were closed by then, of course. Panic phone calls to Lorna and Jane didn't locate more fennel, but did activate a few brain cells, and I came up with an idea.

I braised the fennel as originally planned, then roasted the vegetables I did have - half a manky courgette, a red and a green pepper, an onion and a dozen or so largish cherry tomatoes, plus garlic and mixed herbs. With simple boiled potatoes and steamed carrots with tarragon butter, it was OK. And the vultures finished it all off apart from a few spuds. I think they liked it! I was knackered of course, having barely had time for a bath between starting at 5 and people arriving soon after 7.30. Good job I got going when I did.

They didn't stay late, having early starts this morning, so I put on the Earth Story DVD and settled back to unwind before going to bed myself. And woke up at 1.30am. Sod it! How did that happen? Yeah, felt terrific this morning, you can just imagine.

So today's stupidity is this. Jen's back from Canada and we have a choir practice tonight, but I forgot to get the microwave meals out of the freezer, so just had to go to Tesco to buy something. At the DIY checkouts, I scanned my purchases, then stuck my clubcard in and had it accepted, but then, for the life of me, could not get the bloody thing to accept payment using the clubcard. It just kept saying "Clubcard accepted. Please insert cash or select payment method."

After 3 or 4 attempts, I called for assistance, only to discover that there, right in front of me, was an option to pay by credit or debit card. I had been pressing the stupid clubcard button, so of course it didn't realise I meant "I want to pay with my clubcard." I should have pressed the credit/debit card button and then swiped the clubcard. Yep, red face you could warm your hands by!

8 comments:

ziggi said...

technology v cooking - you obviously can't have a skill in both!

Rob Clack said...

Sigh. Yeah, I guess you're right.

So how's your leg? And have you washed the disgusting gloop out of your pink jeans yet?

Drunk Mummy said...

That is very impressive improvisation! I might have been tempted to just ring up Pizza Hut.
What wine did you drink?

Rob Clack said...

Yes, I did feel a little smug about it! And how careless not to mention the wine! I opened a Hardy's Crest cab shiraz (half price at Tesco, £4.99 iirc) My guests also brought bottles, but I can't for the life of me remember what they were. This may be not unconnected with the fact that I fell asleep while watching the DVD!

Suffolkmum said...

Not surprised you felt smug - I would have gone into major panic mode. May have to mosey on down to Tesco for the half price deal.Thanks for stopping by on my blog.

Rob Clack said...

You're welcome, SM. It's always worth the effort.

Motheratlarge said...

I love cooking - but rarely enjoy eating the food I've cooked for entertaining. Hostess anxiety or something. Good tip about the braised vegetables.

ps - thanks for the blogroll. Am adding you to mine.

Rob Clack said...

I commented somewhere else, MaL, that I can't cook without a glass by my side. I find the anaesthetic reduces the anxiety, but of course, timing is critical - a slightly early start coupled with guests arriving late can be (has been!) disastrous!