Monday, 4 June 2007

Very, very tasty!

Last night we had a barbecue and decided to see what the squirrel and collared doves I'd frozen tasted like. This was in addition to the chicken which was the main meaty part of the barbie, so we wouldn't starve if the experimental stuff tasted horrid. We left the mature female in the freezer, but got out the baby, along with the dove's breasts which I froze last year, and Jenny marinated them in soy sauce and five spice for an hour or so.


Well what a pleasant surprise! Both were completely delicious. The dove tasted like the pigeon it is, but the squirrel was the real surprise, coming out somewhere between chicken and lamb. Really lovely, and guarantees we'll be repeating the exercise. I just need to work out the optimum time to catch them.

And yesterday I finally finished my Inscrutible God carving after only a year! I painted it with French polish and the colour just glows! I'm really pleased with it!

2 comments:

Dan & Emma said...

Love the carving Rob, do you take commissions? Seriously, how does one learn such a skill - I´m genuinely interested??

Rob Clack said...

Thanks Dan, you're very kind! I generally don't take commissions because I'm desperately slow! I started years ago when I was off work with a slipped disk. I came across some lumps of chalk and carved them with one of those old-fashined flexible dinner knives. Then carved some celcon blocks, moved on to stone and then wood. Entirely self-taught, just by getting on with it. I've read a little, especially about maintaining wood-carving chisels, etc, but mostly it's just practice.