Thursday, 17 May 2007

Struggling with a slideshow using Irfanview

After we came back from Australia the other week, I pruned the pictures we'd taken down to a list only long enough to bore our friends to sleep, not to death and built a web page so anyone with nothing to do could go and look. But my stepmother, whom we'll be visiting shortly, doesn't have a computer, so I thought I'd burn the pics onto a CD and take that, so she can see the pictures on her telly.

Irfanview happily made me a slideshow which I can play on my DVD player, but now I find a problem. I project the pictures using a digital projector onto a 5 foot by 3 foot screen, and the pictures are really blurry and out of focus. This is odd, because when I look at them on my computer monitor, they're nicely sharp. The camera has image-stabilisation, so the everything is much more sharply focussed than I ever managed with the old camera which doesn't have IS.

So why is it so poor when projected onto the big screen? Beats me, but I'm working my way through each step of the process to try to eliminate things, and what I'm left with will be the cause, I hope. I know a big screen will always be less sharp than a little one, but this is silly.

No comments: